Happy New Year!
I hope everyone had a nice relaxing holiday break. I had a great time haning out and focusing on my little family. I was definitely ready to see my other 19 kids last Monday, and was so disappointed by the snow day. Thank you all for the thoughtful Christmas gifts. It was very kind of everyone to think of me this holiday season!
This time of year between the holidays and spring break is a huge chunk of learning. We are progressing past the introduction of the alphabet and basic number sense. The students will be working on more complex tasks from now until June. We are beginning to write complete sentences in our writing journal with illustrations. We are learning multiple strategies for addition and subtraction and using them to solve story problems. In reading the students will start bringing more complex leveled books home to be practicing. We are also focusing on reading comprehension strategies as well as phonics.
We will continue to work with our weekly themes in literacy. Last week we focused on polar animals and where they are located on the globe. This week has been all about animal adaptations in winter. Next week we will focus on the science of crystals, specifically snowflakes. We will round out January with gingerbread men. Our focus with gingerbread men is on following the steps in a process, like a recipe, and the math that is involved in measuring the ingredients.
- There is no school this Monday for MLK day, nor the following Monday for a teacher in-service day.
- The Scholastic book orders need to be placed by Monday so I can send it in. On-line ordering with the class activation code is the simplest way to go, but you can also send in your order and a check made out to Scholastic and I will mail in the payment.
- If you would like to volunteer at any time we could certainly use the help. You do not need to commit to a regular volunteer schedule. As long as I know you are coming the day before you would like to volunteer it will be fine. Thank you to the volunteers that have been coming each week!
- We are completely out of classroom snacks. I like to have them available for students who forget.
- Wish List: I had a parent ask if there is anything on our classroom wish list and I thought of something important. We are desperate need of an electric pencil sharpener. If you have an extra one at home I would love to have it!
If you have any questions or concerns about anything happening here at school please let me know. Thank you for your continued support!