Hi Kindergarten Families,
I am so sorry I have not updated the website in quite some time. Things have been flying by both here at school and at home. It seems like Charlotte just can't shake this cold she has had for weeks. I know a lot of students have been out lately for different illnesses too. I am sanatizing the desks and supplies as often as possible and trying to make sure the kids wash their hands often. if you could please remind them to cough or sneeze into their elbow instead of their hands it would help reinforce the expectations here at school.
We have started working on our life cycle unit, which started with flowers and vegetables, then we moved on to worms and how they help the Earth. We are currently studying the life cycle of the butterfly. In math we are reviewing skills that we have learned before we head off to Spring Break. We continue to try and push ourselves to elaborate in writing. The expectation is that the kids will write at least three sentences on the same topic with finger spaces, capitals, and periods. This is above the kindergarten expectation but they are rising to the challenge! We continue to read emergent reader texts and send them home as often as possible. Over the break I will be working on a system for students to self select these books to take home every day. When this happens you will no longer see the ziplock book baggies, they will just be bringing home the big brown envelope with the pink letter on the outside. Please return all books that come home in the book envelopes.
We have also started a new behavior system in our classroom and the students are responding very well. It is very motivating because they now have the ability to move up and down along the behavior chart. The student start out at the Leopard Lodge each day and then they have the opportunity to move up to Base Camp and then the Summit. If they make it to the Summit they will bring home a Spotted Being Good Card. The students can also be moved down if there behavior needs some adjusting. They will first move down to First Aid and then to Refelction Lake if necessary. If the student makes it to Reflection Lake then they will receive a traditional red card. I chose to change the system because I wanted to give the kids more of a chance to correct their behaviors and also honor the students who do an outstanding job that day.
- Garden Homework: Students do not need to bring back their vegetable gardens, just the homework sheet that came along with it. They can return the sheet when all of their seeds have sprouted. Please send them back on Monday after Spring Break even if all the seeds have not sprouted.
- Report Cards: report cards came home last Thursday. If you have a second household them the copy was sent home in the mail. If you have any questions or concerns about the information in the report please contact me as soon as possible.
- Please make sure your student is writing a sentence in their planner every single night. They can write about anything they choose, it doesn't have to be something that happened in school that day.
- Spring Break is next week!
- Classroom Needs: if you are willing to send in some snacks to share with the class for students who don't bring a snack from home, I would really appreciate it. The kids enjoy pretzels, goldfish, fruit snacks, etc.
- Plant Sale: First grade is selling plants to raise money for the Zoo Snooze field trip. If you are interested in purchasing some flowers or vegetables please let me know and I will get you an order sheet.
If you have any questions or concerns about anything happening here at school please let me know.