The 64 teams.

March is fast becoming one of my favorite months of the school year because of Book March Madness. This year I went completely mad and built a book bracket of 64 of our school's most checked out books since September. I'm very pleased with myself because I've learned more than I can possibly tell you about how brackets work.The best thing is how the students react to it. One student observed it was the best reading list ever. A few other students noted that I went to the full 64 brackets and that's going to make the competition pretty tough. Book March Madness is in its fourth year and it's better than ever.

In my career I have never had such a successful promotion of books. There are countless strategies I've used including a reading mileage plan. Nothing worked nearly as well as Book March Madness. The ingredients of success have everything to do with enthusiasm and competition. 

Checking the stats.

Checking the stats.

gallery

It brings me a great deal of joy to listen and watch students interact and discuss their favorite books. The conversations are full and passionate. Sometimes I think maybe I'm hearing them wrong. They must be talking about a video game or something else… but then I see them with their brackets or coming in at lunch to read the reviews on some books they don't know as well. Inside I'm doing flips of happiness but outwardly I try to restrain myself. "What book do you think might win the championship, Ms. Pappas?" 

A class looking over the teams.

A class looking over the teams.

The conversation continues, but more importantly, they're reading.

Happy March Madness.