divergent veronica roth

I remember thinking the word was "fraction" when I first encountered it as an 8th grader. Someone misspelled a word and I found it. I was pleased with myself.

Faction and fraction are not the same word. A person might be in a faction if their interests, abilities, or politics are in opposition within the larger group. That's when I first heard it. It was a "political" conversation. But it's also interesting because a faction might be a fraction of a population. 

Bottom line, when you read this book you need to understand the difference between faction and fraction. You will also find the connection between the two words if you read this book. Divergent is a stunning reading experience from a young (she's 22) author. Veronica Roth has set this new trilogy in a futuristic, dystopic Chicago. Find in the pages the gritty, unrelenting story of Beatrice Prior who at 16 must select the faction to which she will devote the rest of her life. The society is divided into five factions and each is dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue. 

Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must choose. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, especially herself. 

Divergent is what Beatrice is. Her aptitude test is the proof. Notice Divergents are not among the list of factions. How will that determine her destiny? You'll have to read it for yourself and find out.  It's nonstop action with just enough tension in nearly every page that you don't want it to end. Is it the next Hunger Games? Roth has me on the edge. Only time and the next two books will tell.

Adrenalin reading!